Vision & Invitation
Aloha, Discover Hawaii Tours is thankful for the opportunity to propose our tours and activity services to you. We are proud of our history of sharing the Aloha Spirit with guests, and confident in our vision and commitment to visitors to provide the highest quality of services.
We are sure this is a feeling shared by Access Cruise. In my 20 plus years in the tourism industry, I have learned what it takes to deliver an exceptional tour experience.
First, having an in-depth knowledge and understanding of history, and current events. Second, sensitivity to a guest’s needs. And, it always helps to have a good sense of humor. Discover Hawaii Tours takes pride in providing the best-trained tour guides. Professionally written narrations, extensive, and continuing training to support our guides to vehicles that are designed to provide a more intimate, safe, and comfortable environment for our guests to insure that Discover Hawaii Tours will offer the best Hawai’i tour experience.
We are sure that Discover Hawaii Tours would be a useful resource in developing potential Access Cruise members through our ability to deliver the highest level of quality and satisfaction to your guests. Discover Hawaii Tours welcomes the opportunity to become your partner in this important process, and provide a valuable asset to your endeavors.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Discover Hawaii Tours
Customer Service is our #1 Priority
We Track Complaints & Compliments
In September 2008 we began daily phone calls to record client feedback on each tour. The program continues successfully today. We call passengers daily and say:
“Aloha Mr./Ms. Smith! This is Amy with Discover Hawaii Tours. This is a quality control call about the tour that you took today. Do you have a moment to answer 3 questions?”
1. Did you enjoy your tour today?
2. What would you change about the tour?
3. Would you recommend the tour to others?
The answers are recorded and used to improve tours, reward and train future guides.
The response about our tours is overwhelmingly positive. In fact, since September we have not had a negative comment from a client feedback call on Pearl Harbor tours
By calling guests, we can better confirm or dismiss the legitimacy of a complaint received about a specific tour or guide. This system has been very helpful in quickly solving problems and identifying causes of complaints. We then can determine if the complaint was preventable, beyond our control, fraudulent, or made worse than it was. This information will be emailed to Access Cruise managers monthly.
Customer Service Questionnaires
The other quality assurance program that we have involves our customer service questionnaires. This program has been in effect for over 10 years. Unlike others, our questionnaires are not collected by our tour guide, but given directly to your concierge for 4 reasons:
1. So your concierges know how we’re doing.
2. To send satisfied clients back to concierges to purchase more.
3. To ensure any negative comments are not discarded by the guide.
4. So we can use the comments to continually improve the product.
We understand that this system is riskier because Access Cruise will receive all comments, good or bad. Other quality assurance systems prevent Access Cruise from receiving the bad or not-so-good comments. Our guides follow the highest standards and specific procedures we’ve established most of the time and when that is not done, we’d rather know.
Furthermore, we want customer feedback for product development. Our sales staff collects the questionnaires from the managers who have already reviewed them. All of the forms are reviewed by our president and used for training, commendation, and counseling. Compliments and complaints are tracked by guide and by tour so we can recognize trends.
Compliments and complaints are tracked by guide and by tour so we can recognize trends.
The complaints that we take the most seriously are complaints about our guides attitudes or professionalism. Other issues, such as mechanical or timing can be fixed easily, but a poor attitude is not accepted at DHT. In 2015, we terminated one guide because we received a complaint about his attitude. That is the only time we got complaints about professionalism.
The most common cause of complaints on tours is an unmet expectation. On our Pearl Harbor Tour the unmet expectations may be caused by not being able to board the Memorial due to unsafe weather and USA Navy closure of the Navy Boat. Our sales staff works diligently with concierges and managers to establish clear and reasonable expectations.
If we have a guest that was dissatisfied with our service, this is how we respond:
• We take all complaints very seriously, valid or not.
• We listen and summarize the problem as explained.
• We realize that while the customer is complaining to Access Cruise concierge, it may jeopardize additional timeshare bookings.
• When we work toward a resolution, guests are happier and Access Cruise will have a better opportunity to book other timeshares.
We have a 99.5% Customer Satisfaction Rating!
We are Hawaii's Ambassadors of Aloha
We Differentiate Our Services from
Our Competitors by Offering
• Results in Consistent Quality
• Avoids Inappropriate or Offensive Comments
• Includes Policies about Personal Belongings & Safety
• More Entertaining
• More Accurate & Professional
• Our Maximum Tour Group Size is 24
• Guests Get to Know Guide & Fellow Guests
• Includes Policies about Personal Belongings & Safety
• Thorough Screening & Hiring Process
• Thorough Screening & Hiring Process
• Strict Uniform & Grooming Policies
• No Tolerance Drug & Alcohol Policy
• Greet Guests when Boarding & Disembarking from outside of the vehicle
• Late Model & Regularly Replaced
• Professionally Maintained & Cleaned Daily
Variety & Flexibility
We offer more tours than any competitor. Our focus on tours and service has set us apart from companies focusing on just moving people.
Our Tour & Excursions are Very Different from Our Competitors
We began differentiating our tours by improving on the obvious. We bought better buses and gourmet food. Then the hard part, after analyzing the market for Pearl Harbor tours, we created our tours based on the following concepts:
1. We are the only company that has a mandatory script and route to Pear Harbor — Ala Wai to H1 and exit at Pearl Harbor. We selected this route for the following reasons:
• This the fastest route to Pearl Harbor & Less Traffic
• The drive is not as industrial and run down as Nimitz
• Guest’s focus is on Pearl Harbor narration
• The end of the day is a grand finale of lush vegetation, impressive vistas from Diamond head to Wai‘anae.
2. Creating the Script
Our company’s philosophy is to provide consistency, accurate information and an entertaining narration for our visitors. We do so by writing a detailed script, from which our guides are trained. We went to the road taking notes of as much detail that can be seen of historical significance. We then research the legends, history, and any interesting facts or trivia regarding the route.
The script carefully balances entertainment, captivating legends, historical information, and background music for visitors to relax making the trip a memorable experience.
To enhance the experience our tour guides’ narration is scripted and presented in 4 minute intervals:
• 4 Minutes History
• 4 Minutes Hawaiian Legends
• 4 Minutes Hawaiian Music
• 4 Minutes Jokes & Small Talks
• 4 Minutes of the Tour Guide NOT Taking
(allowing the guest to enjoy the scenery and digest the info that has been shared.)
3. Pearl Harbor Tour Narration
a. About Hawai‘i
b. FDR Infamy Speech
c. Where the War Began
d. Invasion of China & Manchuria
e. Japanese Commanders
f. Japanese Left
g. The Attack
h. Japanese Submarine
i. B17 Planes
j. Battles of the Pacific
k. Japanese-American in Hawai‘i
l. 442th Battalion
m. The Atomic Bomb
n. Japan are Our Allies
4. “Making” the DHT Tour Guide
A tour guide is the most important component of a tour because he/she provides the experience
• Our guides undergo thorough safety training, defensive driving
courses, and CPR classes.
• All drivers have CDL — commercial driver’s licenses, which require more training and testing than standard driver’s licenses.
• We drug test randomly.
• Guides understand that “the customer is always right.”
• Guides are trained to be educators and entertainers at the same time.
• Guides are tested on presentation of tour, ensuring the presentation is “natural” and does not seem scripted, yet it is.
Competitors’ Tour Guides
• Are not trained with scripts, allowing the tour guides to say whatever
comes to mind; similar to giving a 10 hour speech without notes.
• Are the “encyclopedia guides” that will bore you with all types of facts and historical days.
• The “joker guide” the has an outgoing personality and can tell you a million jokes but cannot answer any questions or share any information.
5. Goodwill & Relationship with the National Park
• We have fostered goodwill with the National Park
• We are the official transportation company for the Pearl Harbor Historical Association’s events including Dec. 7.
• Late model deluxe 22–24 passenger mini-buses.
• We installed “easy ride” suspension for a smoother ride.
• Seats recline making long rides very comfortable.
• Double seats per rows allowing couples to sit together.
• Each passenger has his/her own seat (no bench seats).
• Over 6’ interiors allow safe embarking and disembarking.
• Two front windows to allow more visibility for people in the back rows.
Competitors have Large Buses
• 57- 64 seater buses —
Very large, detached groups and overcrowded.
• It takes 16 minutes for passengers embark and disembark.
• No connection between tour guide and guests because of location of tour guide on the bus.
7. Customer Satisfaction
• Tours are monitored at the end by customer surveys, which are
returned to Access Cruise concierge by clients.
• Employees are commended for each positive comment card.
• Clients are contacted and asked about their experience.
• Complains and problems are documented, used towards company improvements and training.
• Last year we moved 164,000 passengers with less than .5% of complaints.
• When we get a complaint it is documented and resolved instantly by our agent who took the call. This eliminates frustration and loss of revenue to our company or Access Cruise, and allows agents to keep selling instead of going back and forth over a $120 product.
• Our refund policy favors agents who are often sitting with our clients.
• We maintain complaint logs and monitor consistencies